Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Primitive Schoolhouse Mat

This is a piece I made for a friend. She had bought an old school desk and wanted something to go with it.
Of course that made me think of a schoolhouse and I was lucky enough to have a friend who had a great pattern, and she sent it to me. The pattern "Liberty" is from Fig Tree Quilts.

I had to change it, as usual;) I appliqued it onto prairie cloth and added the letters and alphabet.
I have to admit, it was hard working on the cloth, not as much surface area to sew into.
I used wools and a blanket stitch on the larger pieces and a whip stitch on the smaller ones.
The borders are done with wools from my stash of "as is" wools, as is the backing.

Tonight I was busy working on my newest punch pieces. The new ones will be going on ebay. I am a glutton for punishment, and thought I would try some sales again.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

I love it! It's sooo cute, now i want to make one too...

primitivebettys said...

I do just LOVE this Debbie! You are so talented & a special friend. I'm sure Paula LOVES her gift! :)

WoolenSails said...

Brenda,
I saw the ones on your site too. If I hadn't gotten this one, I would have bought the schoolhouse quilt you have. That is a nice one too.

Debbie

Fanxstitch said...

Very pretty design and stitching. Makes me want to try doing wool applique more than I have been.

Vickey in SC

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

Oh I am totally loving your kittys..I love the cat quilt too...go figure...love them kittys..thanks for stopping by for a visit..

Penny @ Miss Pootsie's Primitives said...

Oh my goodness, that punch is DARLING! I can just see it grouped w/ your friend's antique school desk. Wow... you're really talented!
Penny