Sunday, February 1, 2009

Weekend thrifting

One of my favorite pastimes is to go thrift shopping, you never know what you will find.
We have a few thrift stores along with antique consignments, so there are plenty of places to look for treasures.
Sometimes I buy things just because it is neat, or interesting or something I can remake into a new item.

Today's find was a rustic candle box. I threw it on the wall with a candle, but I will be sanding it down and refinishing it in my favorite black over mustard. I need to find a candle that will look good in that box, another excuse to thrift;)



I have also been thinking in themes. It is fun to come up with new ideas and decorate areas with a theme, so these are my theme finds that I got Saturday. The church fits on a shelf I have, you know the big hole in the wall I showed before, haha. Well, I was thinking I could put the church on the shelf and make some sheep and items to go on either side. Then I can make some bird ornies and hang them in the hole. Well, it's an idea, we shall see what I come up with;)

Then I saw the noah's ark puzzle, had to have it, have no idea why, but I like it and that is what counts. I was thinking of doing a noah's ark theme, so that would be fun to design a rug and make more folk animals for an area in the house. I plan on doing a sewing/textile theme with my other found items and saw this pin cushion. Not sure if I will keep it, think it will be a fun gift to throw into a future box for a fellow sewer. Sometimes I buy things just because and put them in a box for future presents. This christmas I had a swap and the person loved to collect pin cushions, of course I couldn't find any then;)



Since I was out and about and the Folk art quilt store was in the area, I just had to stop by and see what new items they might have. Nothing new, but I picked up some nice greens and a beautiful red shade. I love to make hearts on some of my quilting items and it is hard to find nice prim reds. I am always in need of good greens for leaves and stems. It seems the stores never have the shades I am looking for, so I have to settle. I guess I will have to start ordering online.

1 comment:

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

Those are some great finds--I love the Noah's ark. That sense of adventure in thrifting is so darned much fun!