Saturday, August 8, 2009

Paddling on the River

Today was a beautiful day. The sun was out and it was warm but we had a nice breeze, so it was a perfect day to paddle on the river. We went from the Bradford boat launch, and went up river.



You never know what you will find along the river banks. A lot of blow downs from the storms we had this year.



The river is very windy, going up and down and back up again, so we pass under two railway bridges.



We paddle and make our first stop at the Burlingame campgrounds for paddlers. There are several campgrounds on the hills and places to bring in your boat and take a swim, great place to cool down. Today I wasn't hot enough to jump into the icy water, so I just dipped my feet in a bit, to cool down.



We end the paddle at the falls in a little old town called Burdickville. The river goes on and on, but I was happy with stopping there, since we still had to paddle back.



Bill played in the rapids below the falls, they propel you down the river which is fun, but I told him, he could not go over the falls, lol. I could just picture him smashing into the rocks and tipping over. From there we paddle back to the launch, with the current, so it is nice after a hard paddle upstream. If you ever want to paddle in Rhode Island, there is a great site with launches that you can use, in the state.

3 comments:

Jacque. said...

Ya know, Deb. I don't much like water, and I probably would think paddling was way too much work. HOWEVER, I love seeing your photos of the water!

Libby Buttons said...

How absolutely beautiful. Moving water is the key to relaxation for me. This would have been heaven to me!
smiles
Darlie
ka LiBBy BuTTons

Joanne said...

Deb -Looks like another great day - I agree with Jacque about the too much work - i'd rather float around! I do love water though! Good for you getting out and getting that exercise!