Thursday, April 15, 2010

Down by the old mill stream

We had two nice days, and rain coming for the rest of the weekend, so I thought I better get my lazy butt out and get some walking in. I am so out of shape, my legs are sore and tight, need to use those muscles more.

We went to a park nearby that was once the home to the first cotton factory in East Greenwich. This is the next town up from me.
There is a small pond at the entrance, that is normally frequented by fishermen, but because of the recent floods, there is not much left of the pond. The water is being funneled into one end, where is is cascading down the rocks and into the smaller stream. I love the sound of rushing water pummeling down the rocks to the stream below, I could sit there for hours.



In the 1800's, this area was teeming with activity. The park now contains the ruins of the 19th century textile mill, its mill pond, dam headrace, spillways, and steam boiler building. I wonder what life was like in those days, as I walk the paths.



The remains of the dwellings, several outbuildings, a well, a privy, and bridge abutments can be seen as you walk the paths.



The families of the village once grew flowers around their houses. Patches of lillies of the valley, day lilies, and periwinkle can be seen around the areas of the foundations. A day of peace and contemplation about the families who once lived and worked here.

5 comments:

Brenda said...

Hi Debbie, my emails to you keep bouncing back. =(

moosecraft said...

What a beautiful and peaceful place for a walk to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air!

Kaaren said...

I can lose myself in places like these thinking and reflecting about times gone by.

Thanks for sharing this little corner of your world.

primitivebettys said...

What a beautiful spot for a walk. Looks like a lovely day too. :)

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Now THAT is he way to get some exercise in. Such beauty. Thanks for capturing it and sharing it with us!