Saturday, April 10, 2010

Hand hooked stair tread

We have the stairs in, though we still need to finish painting the risers and the the edges.
I need treads and the poor dog cannot get up and down until we do.
So, I thought, I can hook some. I made one as a test. It took me four days to finish it all.
This is not a good idea, lol. I love the look, but with the time it takes and my joints swelling from non stop hooking, I decided to go and buy some instead.

You can see what I came up with though. It might be nice in the future, maybe I will hook one, once in awhile and set them aside for when we need to replace the braided ones I got. This is the entrance to our house and also the stairs to the cellar, so hooked mats might not be the best idea for this area.

I went with a simple design and a bit of a hit or miss look on the inside. I used a thrift wool for the lighter fills, it was a plaid with blues and other colors in it, nice effect for a light background.



I tried one outdoors without the flash, but got a blue cast to it. I tweaked it a bit in photoshop, but gives a more straight on shot. Now I will have to decide what to do with this one. That is a cat in the middle, in case you couldn't tell. I took it from a cookie cutter shape, I had seen on the web.

13 comments:

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Awesome...love the blues mixed in and what a great design.

antique quilter said...

very nice
or you can make one every month or two and replace it as you finish...that would be interesting
love the blue mixed in adds a lot to it I think
Kathie

Audrey said...

It came out so nice....I think you should slowly make them as well. Imagine the end results.

ohiofarmgirl said...

It is beautiful and I love the design...don't you have some friends that would help? Dianntha

moosecraft said...

It's a beautiful piece, Debbie! I'm sorry that your arms are not cooperating... maybe temporatily tack down the bought treads... and then finish hooked ones at your leisure and replace the bought ones one at a time?. Certainly is a big project.

Karmen said...

It is a beautiful, to die for, accent tread. Lovely! Karmen

Tammy Burks said...

I just saw something yesterday that would be a great idea for your stair treads while you are waiting to get them all completed. I saw a chair and it had a little pillow about the size of your stair treads tied at the top of the chair, but hanging about halfway down it to cushion your back...these were like kitchen chairs....does that make any sense? I looked and looked on the net, but now I can't find the picture....If I stumble upon it I'll send you the link.

Carrie P. said...

Very pretty.

paulette said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! Too nice for the floor!! Wow, you are incredible!
Paulette

HomeSpunPrims said...

Another wonderful piece!!! You get so much done Debbie!!!!

kelley said...

you do have many rug hooking friends debbie...I'd love to hook one for you...just let me know the size!

Deb said...

I bet those would look unbelieveable all done and up your stairs! I think you have a good idea of doing them a little bit at a time.

primitivebettys said...

Wonderful! Makes me wanna get out stairs dressed up. You always make such wonders! :)