Sunday, April 18, 2010

Little Quilts

I finished two of the little quilts I am working on.
The first is 8" x 7". The design is by Twigs n Sprigs and I added the lettering to that.
After I did the stitchery, I painted in the design with watered down acrylics. Then I heat set it in the dryer, washed it with soapy water and redried it and the paint did not run or fade out.

This is the piece after I finished.



This is the piece, after I antiqued it. The painted areas look more faded than they appear in the photo. I also think, I could do a light sanding in some areas to get the antique medium to take on the paint.



This piece is one I decided to whip together and you can tell, I did, by the lopsided triangles, lol. I had a bunch of little squares, so I sewed some together to cut triangles from and put them all together. I just wanted something quick and prim. It is 13" x 10". I started working on the annie, so that will be done next. I started to paint the cat stitchery, but used too much water and I had to rinse it out to avoid more run off. I will work on that when my brain can handle painting again.

10 comments:

Karen said...

I like the idea of using the watered down acrylics. I especially like your piece after it was "aged".

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

I love that painted piece..love the way it looks stained too..you did a great job as always and I love the quilt..;)I am having a giveaway..so stop by and sign up..;)

Kim D. said...

Love the painted piece, what a neat idea to use acrylics. The tea staining always brings a quilt to life. Love the old weathered look.

Brenda said...

very cute! Love them both. Oh, and my emails bounced again yesterday...are you blocking me? LOL!

Kathy (woolfind) said...

awesome pieces Debbie! I love the triangles. And your painted piece is awesome!

HomeSpunPrims said...

Great little quilts Debbie! Neat Idea with the paint.

moosecraft said...

I love that little prim triangle quilt! Gimmee, gimmee, gimmee!!!! LOL! :-)

Lori said...

Both "little" projects are so charming!!!

Sauders Fabric said...

Great idea using paint. I love the way it came out!
Linda

Cat Haven Craft House said...

Love both of these! I've never tried to paint a stitched piece before! The triangle quilt is precious just the way it is.