Saturday, April 24, 2010

Rhode Island Quilt Show

Today I went to a local quilt show, held by the Narragansett Bay quilters.
There were a few new vendors, but I was able to walk out with some nice batiks to make art quilts with.
I like the idea of making simple applique pieces and then practicing my free motion on them. I think the batiks will be perfect for that.

I took a few photos, the lighting was horrid and the skylights from the gym, let in light that made it hard to shoot well.
So, here are a few that I liked and I will put up some more tomorrow.

This piece is done by Barbara Barber. I really love her work. This is a quilt depicting her grandmother and father, he was an only child and much loved. She hand paints her quilts and then stitches around the designs, it is beautiful in person. She fashioned the background after her grandmother's crazy quilt.



I just love the bold colors on this one and the subject of course. She made it after an artist's friend's dog.
Wonderful use of stitchery to enhance the design.



I love the realism of this quilted piece. It makes you want to walk into the picture. The berries are done with red beads, so nice use of embellishments and stitchery.



This I like, just because it was cool, lol. The sneakers are all applique, really loved them. I think she did a beautiful job on using fabrics and stitching to get realism and depth.



This one I loved, need to look up the pattern, it is so much more beautiful in person. She really used gorgeous prim fabrics and wish the camera could show the true nature of this quilt. It is from Folk Art Threads by Maggie Bonanomi.

11 comments:

Karmen said...

Very nice! You were able to compose the pictures well to make up for the lack of light. I really like the grandmother, the dog and the Bonanomi piece. Thanks for sharing with us. Karmen

Carrie P. said...

Wow, some real talent in that quilt show. I really love the snowy scene. Thanks for sharing.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Debbie ~
Those are some awesome quilts. Since I'm not a quilter, I still picture "quilts" as being geometric pieces of fabric sewn together, not showing something realistic like the sneakers or the mother and child. That winter scene is incredible.
Thanks for sharing.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Anonymous said...

This quilt show is surely one of the best I've seen (through help of your photos).

Lori said...

What beautiful quilts!! Thanks for sharing them on your blog.

Audrey said...

WOW, those are amazing. Thanks for sharing them. So glad you had a chance to see them in person.

Joanne said...

Very interesting quilts - amazing probably to see the detail in person. I appreciate all the work of these quilts but I still love scrappy and block quilts best

Susan Lenz said...

Hi!
Thanks for the comment on my blog! I very much enjoyed the quilt show images you posted too....and the idea of "The Real Me"....quite intriguing! Your self portrait quilt looks great.
Susan

moosecraft said...

Beautiful quilts! i think my favorite is the winter scene! I love birch trees, and it makes my most (unfavorite) season look magical! LOL!

Jacque. said...

WOW...wonderful pieces! Thanks for sharing with us!

Tina Craig said...

The first 3 quilters are friends of mine- all lovely and talented women! Barbara W. Barber from RI, not to be confused with the other quilting Barbara Barber from the UK, is my idol! Chris Bagley makes incredible quilts and always has a good story to tell. I got to hold one side of Pat Bruno's gorgeous landscape during show & tell last week. It's even cooler up close and personal!