Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Easter Pillow!


No postcards today. I was looking for things and found an old print out, that I had done years ago and forgot about. Today I cut it down to the photo and made a pillow with it.

I used June Tailor's Print 'n Press to print the design, which is an antique post card design. All I had to do was print it out and it was still good after all these years. I would recommend letting it dry for a few days before using it, to set the colors. I ironed it onto fabric, then cut 1/8 around the edge of the design. I placed the design onto the background fabric, then lay the crochet trim around the edge and sewed it down by machine. The crochet trim is a moda product that I won years ago, finally using my stash.

The buttons were an after thought, a way to cover up the sloppy corners of the trim. After I sewed the buttons on, I sewed it into a pillow and decided some smaller buttons would look good on the outer edges of the pillow. The one thing I think I would do differently, is to use fusible on the back of the design to hold it down better. The iron on is a bit like soft rubber, so I would not sew onto that. I made an egg  years ago and it does hold up well, but also fades and cracks a bit with age.

I hope you enjoy my new pillow. It was fun to make and looks great on my shelf. The finished pillow is 12" x 8". I had to take a photo without flash to avoid glare, then lighten the photo up, so it might seem a bit brighter than it actually is.


18 comments:

Karen said...

The buttons look like part of the design. I think I would use buttons if I had made it. Looks good.

Jacque. said...

LOVELY!!!

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

It looks great and really like the finishing touches!

Linda said...

Super cute!

Raymond Homestead said...

Very sweet!

Shelley said...

Oh my lands, it's absolutely perfect :) good thing you live far away from or I have been tempted to..just kiddin, great job!

Sherry said...

Beautiful! I love the antique picture and the buttons add a perfect touch.

Jennie in GA said...

And it is WAY CUTE! Leaves me yearning for Spring.

Vicki W said...

The buttons are a great addition!

paulette said...

I love this pillow!! Good for you!
P

Fiona said...

looks great withe the different textures...
Hugz

Unknown said...

Love your pillow, very cute

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Love that pillow!

Allie said...

Absolutely darling, Debbie!!

jackiero said...

I love your pillow :)

Lori said...

It is beautiful! What's not to love?!

Monique said...

This pillow is very nice!
Hugs

Carrie P. said...

sweet!