Monday, May 23, 2016

Weekend Wanderings!


Another beautiful weekend and the last before the beaches open and the crowds come, so we enjoyed a few days hiking and exploring.

On Saturday I decided I wanted to go to Bluff Point in Connecticut. It is a wonderful park with nice trails that go out  to the ocean and not only do they have restrooms, they have one at the end of the trail, as well.

There was quite a few people but spread out enough that we could enjoy walking by ourselves, most of the time. Bean was being good, he is calming down enough that he doesn't lunge for every person that passes by, but he does take the lead and it is a hard pace to keep up with. I am trying a new trick, letting Bill take the lead and making Bean stay behind him, so hopefully he will get the hang of walking calmly beside us on public trails.

We took my son which was a good thing, his eyes are better than mine and with Bean pulling, I miss things. The first thing we spotted was a fawn, who didn't seem phased by the people walking by.


Further down the trail my son spotted a bird. I am not good with bird identification, but he was pretty.


The disappointment was, it is nesting season so no dogs allowed on the beaches. They have a long stretch of beach and Bean really wanted to go play in the water, but he had to stay on the trails. The trail ends at the point with a view of Connecticut to the left, Rhode Island beyond that and New York across the water and of course a view of the guys being goofy.


We came back along the inner trail, a quieter path and we spotted this guy who seemed like he was lost. He started to come to me, then got scared and ran. My husband said a guy who he worked with, told him that he released his ferrets in the park, so I am thinking, this may be one.  This photo makes him look scary but he was very calm, just seemed scared.


Sunday was a cloudy day with chance of rain but we only got a brief shower and were able to enjoy some time at Black Point. The tide was going out and the waves were coming in.


I was hunting for heart rocks and Bill decided to take photos of me, so I decided to make faces at him, this is something between goofy and laughing. I hope you all had a wonderful weekend.


15 comments:

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Looks like a wonderful place to hike and enjoy the outdoors! Did you find any hearts?

The Eveningstitcher said...

Wonderful hike, Deb! What a beautiful area you live in! I hope those poor little ferrets will survive in the wilderness...I don't know too much about wildlife, but those creatures are kind of small! Love the picture of you and the ocean....so beautiful!!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Wonderful pictures. You have so many beautiful places to hike.
Why would someone just release his ferret in the wild? The irresponsibility ticks me off!
Hugs :)
Lauren

acorn hollow said...

Looks like fun and I am with lauren to release a pet into the wild is just mind boggling
cathy

Saundra said...

Love the deer but like the rest of the folks who commented, am concerned for the domesticated small animals let loose in the wild. Looks like your son is trying to hide his identity.

Ronda said...

Beautiful ... would love to travel out East.

Sandi said...

Sounds like you all had a lovely day, sorry Bean couldn't have fun on the beach though.

Grat scenery!

The Rusty Thimble said...

Pretty trails to walk, we have had stormy or rainy weather all spring, almost everyday so far
I am ready to get out and walk around too
Brenda

Allie-oops Designs said...

What a lovely walk - glad you got out before the crowds. Love those waves!!!

paulette said...

Beautiful pictures!! I especially liked the one of you!! Frame worthy!

moosecraft said...

Great pic of you! Good for you guys getting out and enjoying the water before the crowds get there... summertime is quickly approaching! :-)

Carol C. said...

What a beautiful place! I had a wonderful border collie mix -- he would pull something terrible. I discovered the Halti, which worked so well...I would really recommend it. It made walking a pleasurable experience. I always enjoy seeing the beautiful places you hike!

Fiona said...

fun times... lovely walks and great to see the birds and animals...
Hugz

Julie Fukuda said...

Whether on a hike or at a quilt show, two sets of eyes always see better than one. Good for Bean to learn he is a follower and not a leader and good for those who manage wildlife to protect nesting birds. I love your pictures. Thanks for taking us along.

Carol Swift said...

What a beautiful walk you had! It looks so gorgeous and amazing!