Friday, September 2, 2016

Friday Fun! and Finds!


Bill decided to take a few days off this week, since next another guy is going on vacation, so we were able to get out a bit and enjoy the beaches without the crowds. I kept it a bit low key for me, I still have to watch my back and I do tire easy with the lyme, but it is worth it, to get out and do something different.

Yesterday it was raining most of the day, but I checked the weather map and saw a break in the storm, so we heading south and hit a store that has a lot of nautical items. I found two sets of hooks that I liked, so I got both and one is too small and one a bit large for the space to hang my oars, so I think we will just make some. But they are nice, and I can  use them in the room or in my bathroom.

After that we went to Galilee and watched some of the boats coming in. Usually the lot is full but there was plenty of room to park and the rain was stopping so we could enjoy some fresh ocean air.


We headed up to the lighthouse and noticed the fishing park was open again. It has been closed since the storm since all the rocks were carried into the lot and it was a mess. It took a long time with back hoes and replacing the rocks and building up the shoreline, but the area is open and my favorite spot to get out and walk on the breakers.


Today it was a beautiful day for a ride to Connecticut. I wanted to check out a dog beach in the city of Noank, called Esker Beach. We had to go down some back roads but the area is full of old homes and churches, so it was fun exploring. The beach was nice but it was low tide and it stunk so bad, I could not stand it for too long, lol. The beach was also full of seaweed and I saw a lion's mane jelly fish laying on the sand, no thank you. It was a nice place to get out and enjoy for a bit and Bean loved walking around and playing in the water.


The beach looks out into the harbor and the surrounding islands. A nice place and maybe at high tide it would be better. It does have a nice boat launch to the side, so we will definitely come back to paddle.


On the way in, I spotted a thrift store, so I had Bill stop on the way out. It was a small shop but always fun to see what they have. I found out it was fill a bag day, so for five dollars I could take what I could fill a bag with. I had found a quilt and I couldn't leave it sitting there, it is hand quilted and she signed her name with stitching. On the edge I could see the date, 1980 for the border fabric and it looks brand new. Not perfect stitching, but you can tell she put a lot of love into it. There wasn't a lot to pick from, but I found a beautiful shirt type dress and a tank that I can use for sleepwear, both look new.


Here is the back of the quilts, you can see, her stitching is neat and nice, but not perfect. I also noticed one edge is narrower than the others, imperfections are what makes it fun. No idea what I will do with it, but it couldn't sit in a thrift;)


To end the day we went to Burlingame boat launch. It is a launch but has a stretch of beach and the waters are shallow. We swam a bit and Bean was having a ball playing in the water. I also took a short paddle to the cove and back, and I am finding that it does hurt my back so not sure if I can do a long paddle yet.


To end the day, we had a beautiful sky as the sun went below the horizon. I wanted to get a photo and when I put it in the computer, I noticed something in the sky that I hadn't seen, when taking the photo. A little bit of love from Heaven. The perfect way to end my day.




12 comments:

Jenny Bonynge said...

Lovely day it seems...hope you are feeling better. Water is such a magnet...

Julie Fukuda said...

You did quite a bit considering. When I see a quilt of that vintage, I begin to wonder what will become of all the quilts I have made. I wonder if some day one of them will end up in a thrift shop. Lucky for that one that you could rescue it.Very few of the quilts I have made have a name or date on them but I have begun to re-think that. This year I put my name on the back of the banner I made for church. The turnover there is so great that probably even with a name, no one will know who I am anyway. Love that sunset!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day - thanks for taking me along! That quilt is beautiful - surprising that it would wind up in a thrift shop but maybe it was meant to be with you.

gracie said...

Love Galilee, wonderful memories of the time spent there and Connecticut also. I miss those places. Hopefully your back will feel better soon.

Sandi said...

What a lovely find for you. Love seeing the secondary design that emerges when the flying geese and corner block merge. Can't decide which one I loke best.

Gorgeous colours in that sunset shot.

acorn hollow said...

I love your pictures! what a lovely way to end the day.
Cathy

Allie-oops Designs said...

Ooh gorgeous day, and look at that quilt - what an awesome find!! And how lovely to see a heart in the sky, that is so cool!!

paulette said...

A perfect day...with a little love sent your way! Heavenly!

Fiona said...

how lovely to go without the crowds - just what I prefer too and it looks like a stunning day. I would have rescued that quilt too...
Hugz

Raymond Homestead said...

A beautiful day. Hope you are feeling better each day!

Jacque. said...

Sounds like a perfect day, for sure. I always love your photos.

Rugs and Pugs said...

You and hubby find the best places. Thanks for sharing.
Happy Labor Day :)
Lauren