Monday, October 31, 2016

Haunted Wanderings!


This weekend was another whirlwind of driving and exploring. Saturday I decided I wanted to check out some haunted places in Foster, Rhode Island.

We weren't sure if we could find the places so we drove to the area and got lost down some roads, and at one point ended up at a bridge on the reservoir. As we turned around, I noticed the graveyard on the hill, so we got out and took a few photos.


Not a lot of foliage in this area, it seems some areas turned early and some are still turning, but it is still a beautiful view.


I finally figure out where the haunted graveyard was. The area is said to be haunted by the ghost of a woman who drowned in the river nearby.

We had to park on the side of the road, and walk down a path to the graveyard, the bad thing is there is a shooting range nearby, so you could hear the guns but luckily not near the graveyard. It is an old graveyard, most of the stones are worn out and falling down and some are even sinking into the damp, mossy ground. No ghosts and it didn't seem spooky to me, but it was fun to find it.


We never did find the stream and bridge where the hauntings have been seen, so we went back to the area of the old mill. It is said to be haunted the ghost of one of the owners, who hung himself one night. You can read more about the story and see the ruins of the mill at, New England Folklore.

We started down a trail by a graveyard, seems to be a lot of those in the area. No trespassing signs were posted all along the sides, but I assumed it meant in the surrounding woods, but I may have been wrong. It was a nice walk along the river and it wasn't long before we came to the path across the inlet and pond.

The problem was, they had a lot of rain and the small pond was overflowing into the larger pond, so we could not cross. I was really disappointed but I took a photo of the area where the old mill area was.



When we turned back and I looked up, I swore I saw something long and blue and I kept walking when it hit me that it looked like a man in uniform, so who knows, maybe I did see something;) When I zoomed into that area, it looks like the remains of a skeleton or maybe a creepy ghost, not sure if i want to go back there;)


I didn't get a shot of the small falls on the river, so I stopped to get a photo with my new camera. Just as I came up to the area, I saw the small bush across the river move, not like blowing in the wind, but bending branches one after the other, like when someone brushes by them, a ghost? Sadly all this walking in the brush covered Bean in ticks and after this walk we noticed them when they got on Bill. He had one that day and the next day another that left a big mark, luckily I have lyme med, so I made him take that to be safe.


After this we decided we wanted to go for a relaxing walk and see if there was more foliage at the Old Furnace cliffs. It is a climb up, but short, so not too bad. The foliage wasn't as vibrant as I had hoped, and we never did get to see who was at the end of that rope.


I was still in the mood to walk, so we took the path along the peninsula and it was nice for Bean since it was a wide path and he could go on full leash. It was a nice walk and we found this Teepee hut that someone had built.

All in all, it was an interesting day and aside from the ticks, we had fun. Sunday we had another day of exploring, so I will post on Wednesday and tell you all about our adventures.


And my son sent a photo of Nick, he is too cute trying to be serious. Happy Halloween!


9 comments:

Kate said...

Nick looks so cute! What did Bean think of the haunted places....

Rugs and Pugs said...

I love Nick's costume. Too cute.
Happy Halloween :)
Lauren

Dog Trot Farm said...

Nick is just adorable...and getting so big...Stay out of the woods, the ticks are making a late autumn comeback...Happy Halloween...

Anna said...

Your GS is adorable...Bean seems to be in Love with Bill and the photos are wonderful. I love walking in old graveyards :)

Fiona said...

Nick is adorable. I always wonder about the stories of the people in graveyards... those look so old ...
Hugz

Saundra said...

Darn, wish that photo was larger. Even when I tapped on the photo it didn't get bigger. There was a reddish glow around that skeletal image tho.

The Eveningstitcher said...

It looked like a skeleton to me, Deb!! Very scary!! That graveyard looks really old...you sure do live some interesting places!! Nick is adorable...hope he had a great Halloween!!

moosecraft said...

Nick is an awesome bat! :-) Kewl hauntings... yes... I kind of see a ghost face in that one picture! Neato!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

I love old cemeteries. I find them to be beautiful, historic, peaceful and only occasionally, scary. That totally looks like a skeleton to me, too. I think you saw a ghost! Sweet Nick is adorable!